We have planned for a natural labor and delivery and prefer to avoid pain medication and medical interventions to the extent that is possible. We request that you discuss any suggested interventions or procedures with us and obtain our verbal consent before initiating any such interventions or procedures. The following preferences are for a normal birth; we understand that should an emergency arise, the plan will change. Thank you for respecting our wishes. :)
Labor
- Husband to be present at all times
- I would like a nurse that is supportive of a natural, med-free birth
- Hydrate by mouth, not IV
- FHR monitored intermittently (as requested by Dr. Alwan) by Doppler/EFM, no internal monitoring
- Avoid stripping and artificial rupture of membranes
- I do not want an episiotomy. If it does become necessary, I prefer a pressure episiotomy.
- Keep vaginal exams to a minimum ( exam at admittance and again when I have the urge to push)
- Allowed ability to move around and to labor in whatever position is comfortable
- Please do not offer pain medications. I am aware of my options and will request something should I find it necessary
Delivery
- Allowed choice of pushing position
- No directed pushing unless requested
After Birth/Newborn Care
- Immediately place baby on my chest once she is born
- Offer husband opportunity to cut cord. Please wait until cord stops pulsating before it is clamped and cut.
- Postpone all routine infant procedures until baby has been placed on my chest and allowed to nurse
- I wish to avoid use of Pitocin to deliver placenta and clamp down uterus
- If stitching of perineum is necessary, please use local anesthetic
- Perform all infant tests and procedures in room with us.
- We plan to have the baby room in and should an emergency arise, either my husband or I will accompany the baby at all times.
- Do not administer the Hepatitis B vaccine – we are vaccinating on a delayed schedule
- We are exclusively breastfeeding. Do not offer bottles, pacifiers, or any artificial nipples
- I would like to meet with a lactation consultant as soon as one is available
- We will allow visitors at our discretion
*In case of an emergency and should a c-section be necessary, I would like an epidural if time allows so I can remain awake during the procedure. If I am not under general anesthesia, I want my husband in the room during the c-section. I would also prefer for the baby and my husband to remain in recovery with me and for baby to be put to breast as soon as possible (even if I am unconscious from medication). Please do not administer any sleep inducing drugs following a cesarean without my expressed consent. Should the baby need to leave the recovery room for any reason, I’d like for my husband to accompany our child.
----------------------------
My birth plan is still a work in progress. I am going to be adding a few more things about them helping us keep the lights dim during labor as well as keeping their voices down.
We want as much privacy as we can get and we hope we get a private room. :)
Love it! You have my full support (if that matters). :) Praying you have a BEAUTIFUL birth!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this!!! I will be using it as my starting point. I love how it is formatted.
ReplyDelete"avoid stripping of membranes", does this mean you don't want your water broken? Thanks.
ReplyDelete