Montessori Monday- Rice Pouring



Rice Pouring

What you need:
Tray
Funnel
2 glass cups (same size)
Rice, beans or dry pasta noodles

Skills/Goals:
Hand eye coordination
Learning the life skill of carefully pouring between containers.

What to do:
Ask your little one to bring the tray to the table.
Ask the child to watch you while you demonstrate how to properly use the funnel.
Place the funnel into empty cup and pour the rice into the funnel. Deliberately miss the cup and spill some rice on the tray.  Then tilt the tray and transfer the contents into the glass. This will show your little one how to go about cleaning up the rice in the tray.
Now pour rice into the other cup.
That's it! Now ask your little one to try it!

Emily loved playing with this activity.  Towards the end of her play, she began to pour it out all over the table. I showed her how to hold the tray on the edge of the table and slowly push the rice with her hand back into the tray and she continued to clean up after herself for awhile. Give it a try!!



1 comments:

Melissa said...

I love how she is paying close attention as you do the activity. I am inspired to give these simple activities a try.

1 comment:

  1. I love how she is paying close attention as you do the activity. I am inspired to give these simple activities a try.

    ReplyDelete


up