Cloth Wipes






















As a cloth diapering mom-to-be I thought I'd share with you why I am also choosing to use Cloth wipes as well. Aside from the fact that Cloth Diapering and cloth wipes go hand and hand and using them together just makes sense, there’s one very important factor to consider…ingredients! While the ingredients used in disposable baby wipes are deemed ‘mild’ by the manufactures, commercially produced disposable baby wipes still contain preservatives, surfactants, artificial fragrance and parabens.
If you aren’t familiar with the process for creating disposable baby wipes, take a moment to research.

If the ingredients alone aren’t alarming to you, perhaps you will consider the manufacturing of the non-woven fabric which includes melting plastic pellets? Thats right, those disposable baby wipes are a combination of melted plastic and pressed synthetic materials. Additionally, many of the mega producers of these products conduct testing on animals. Of course its never mentioned, but think about amount of pollution that must derive from the production process alone.
I choose to use cloth wipes for many of the same reasons that I am turning to cloth diapers. At home, the cloth baby wipes can easily be stored in a reusable container. For cloth diapering on the go, pre-moistened wipes can be placed in a zip lock bag or you can take a more fashionable approach with a wet bag like the mini offered by Wahmies.
I've never used cloth wipes before, but read that plain water will usually get the job done but many prefer to use a baby wipes solution for messier changes. Most baby wipes solutions contain natural ingredients like tea tree and lavender essential oils that promise to make clean up much easier. Some popular baby wipes solutions are available in a spray bottle which allows the user to spray the solution directly on baby’s bottom, or onto the cloth wipe. These include brands like Northern Essence foaming baby wipes solution, Kiss a Luvs Diaper Lotion Potion, and the new Bum Genius Bottom Cleaner which features a light and pleasant vanilla scent.
Alternatively, wipes solutions can be made by dissolving soap like cubes in warm water. The solution is then poured directly on the wipes in a reusable container, or added to a spray bottle and used as needed. Baby wipes cubes such as Buns Up by Granola Babies, Monkey Doodles Baby Wipes Cubes, and Booty Cubes are offered by a variety of cloth diaper retailers.
But, you've guessed it...I am going to make my own wipe solution. There are a plethora of baby wipe solution recipes online. Most of these recipes are easy to make using safe household ingredients, however use caution with those that recommend using commercial baby shampoos and lotions (like Johnson&Johnson). These items contain many of the irritating chemicals that defeat the very purpose of using an all natural baby product.
With cloth wipes, I am simply going to place everything in the diaper pail or wet bag and it all goes into the wash.

We will also have some disposable baby wipes on hand for those moments on the go where we don't want to use cloth wipes. The disposable wipes we will use are those that contain natural ingredients which pose little or no risk to baby like the Tushie and Seventh Generation brands.

I recently received some Thirsties fab wipes and I can't wait to use them. I also plan to make some cloth wipes myself...well, with my moms help of course. You can use all sorts of materials to make wipes.
Here is a simple basic wipe solution I will be trying. This basic recipe can be adapted by changing the type of soap or oil.

*1/2 cup coconut oil (I am choosing coconut oil because I already use it for everything and it's safe!)
*1/2 cup baby wash (I am going to use California Baby wash)
*2 cups water (boiled)

That's it! :)

3 comments:

JL said...

California Baby is a good choice. Thanks for sharing. What a great start for you little one. You are an amazing women for truly researching all this stuff before baby is born.

Anonymous said...

I use cloth wipes too and they are a big money saver. I just use water on my cloth wipes for our 10month old...it truly is all that is needed.

Anonymous said...

Great!

3 comments:

  1. California Baby is a good choice. Thanks for sharing. What a great start for you little one. You are an amazing women for truly researching all this stuff before baby is born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use cloth wipes too and they are a big money saver. I just use water on my cloth wipes for our 10month old...it truly is all that is needed.

    ReplyDelete


up